Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never before have so lots of scientific breakthroughs and new techniques emerged in such a brief duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless people the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by fancy ads about a specific laser center. Choose the physician, not the laser. Discover out who will in fact do your treatment, then inquire about that physician's qualifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Pick a doctor who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a physician does not understand can hurt you.
Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your doctor won't inform you, discover another one.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly decontaminated, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical next page treatment. Discount rate surgery is as great as a discount parachute. The possible savings are unworthy the risk of receiving less than skilled care!
Expect to see very well after LASIK, however do not go to these guys anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each patient. Beware of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for many people, address a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the eyesight of countless individuals worldwide.